Saturday, February 3, 2018

Creep (2014)

I don't believe I got as big a 'kick' out of "Creep" as a lot of people seemed too, though I can safely say it's one of the better 'found-footage/mock-doc' type of films I've seen as of late. Unfortunately, I felt like it kinda tapped out a little prematurely, as far as its more effective material a little past the midway point.

A documentary film-maker is hired by a man claiming to be terminally ill to record a father-to-son video for his currently unborn child. Immediately, the 'subject' of the film comes across as an awkward and bizarre whack-job, having his videographer record him bathing, going in search of a 'magic' watering hole, dancing in a rubber werewolf mask and eventually confessing to kinky shit he pulled with his old lady. When the cameraman becomes fully unnerved by his client's behavior and wants to leave, things take a violent turn which carries over into the cameraman's home-life...

I enjoyed "Creep" a good deal up until the film shifted over to the film-maker at home, receiving cryptic packages from his obsessive stalker. At this point, the 'mystique' had pretty much worn off and I felt they were just sorta coasting toward a relatively weak ending. The bulk of the movie, however, is pretty solid - due, mainly, to the performances (there's literally only two people in the entire movie), specifically the guy who plays the 'creep' who brings a strong, unnerving dynamic to the film. In all, "Creep" is an interesting take on the 'found-footage' style - of which I definitely try to avoid for the most part these days - though it CAN be done reasonably well once in a blue moon. The final 'act' fell a little flat, I thought, but it's worth a watch, overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment