Sunday, March 25, 2018

The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire (1971)

By 'giallo' standards, I would place "The Iguana with the Tongue of Fire" on a slightly above average tier, considering I am, admittedly, not the biggest fan of this particular genre. There's definitely been 'giallos' I've liked (Fulci, of course, knocked it out of the park every time and who can forget the master, Argento?), however, I've found it rare for these kinds of flicks to really blow me away. However, regardless of other people I've heard speaking rather unfavorably toward "Iguana...", I actually found it relatively decent, overall, despite some expected dullness.

A killer who likes throwing acid on people and cutting their throats goes and stuffs the body of his latest female victim in the car trunk of a diplomat - prompting an investigation. A rogue inspector hits the case hard - going so far as to fuck the ambassador's daughter and risk putting his family's lives in jeopardy to crack the case...

The film has a pretty solid 'flow' (for a 'gialli') and shit stays interesting enough, throughout. There are a few fairly gory kills involving close-up throat slashings, though I would've preferred a few more on-screen demises. Too many people just pop up dead with a little blood on their necks which I found a bit frustrating. That said, I've seen far worse and actually ended up enjoying "Iguana..." for the most part. The characters were relatively engaging and the pacing was on point. Worth a look, especially for 'giallo' aficionados.

No comments:

Post a Comment