Friday, January 6, 2017

Punisher: War Zone (2008)

I'm not a fan of action movies, overall, and I know nothing about comic books or Marvel, but "Punisher: War Zone" is a rare one that, surprisingly, I ended up digging quite a bit. I'd say it definitely served its purpose of improving upon that 2004 piece of shit film adaptation of "The Punisher" with John Travolta, tenfold.

Frank Castle, a war vet whose family was violently murdered after witnessing a mob hit, enforces a take-no-prisoners brand of vigilante justice on the scum of New York City. When a prominent mafia figure slips from Frank's grasp and sets his sites on the wife and child of a cop that got caught up in some of Frank's 'friendly-fire', The Punisher pursues it as a personal vendetta...

I guess a bunch of Marvel nerds have voiced their dissatisfaction with the previous "Punisher" movie, thus "War Zone" was made to rectify the previous blunder. I had seen the '04 one a while back since I'm a fan of vigilante flicks and remember it having zero impression on me. "War Zone" ups the violence and scales WAY back on all the back-story and anything that makes Frank Castle anything more than a pissed off killing machine! People are impaled, hacked up with axes, heads explode in barrages of gun-fire... And more! Oh, the blood is flying in this one! Not to say it's the most violent thing ever. Not at all. But hell, for a mainstream action flick... from Marvel! They did alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment