Sunday, January 14, 2018

The Babysitter (2017)

Once in a while I like to blow the dust off the ol' Netflix and see what's crackin'. I put on "The Babysitter" for the hell of it - having no qualms with shutting it off if I wasn't feeling it. I'll say, while I found quite a bit of this one's 'meta'-horror/comedy schtick annoying and, overall, not my 'thing' usually, it was actually watchable.

An awkward 12-year old boy who seems to be afraid of everything and is picked on by neighborhood bullies seems to have only one thing going for him: his hot babysitter. When his parents head to a Hyatt for a few days, he's left in her sexy care and they pal around until he's sent to bed and decides to see what she does after he's 'asleep'. He spies her with some friends in the living room, playing a not-so innocent game of spin-the-bottle before some unexpectedly 'dark' and violent shit starts going down - placing him in the center of a black magic blood-ritual that he must fight his way out of.

Some of the goofiness gets a bit tiring, while some of it works a little better at times. Again, I'm not into this kind of snarky, pop-culture heavy humor blended with horror. Otherwise, the movie is shot pretty damn well - with cool, colorful lighting and interesting camera work in spots. There's a few 'okay' gore scenes and a finale involving a muscle car that I admittedly did not see coming. "The Babysitter" is nothing great, but a passable throw-away flick if you're bored and cruisin' Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment