Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Dead Hooker in a Trunk (2009)

From what I've seen from the Soska sisters up to this point hasn't necessarily rocked my world, which now includes their directorial debut, "Dead Hooker in a Trunk". I hate feeling this way cuz I really WANT to like these kooky Canuck females who are affectionately contributing to the genre and have definitely shown some promise in the field - I just find too many problems with how their movies are structured.

Following a wild night, four nameless people discover the corpse of a prostitute in the trunk of their car and embark on a dangerous pilgrimage through sordid, junkie networks, all while trying to ditch it.

For having such a tiny budget and limited resources, Jen and Sylvia Soska did considerably well from a production standpoint. The film is shot well and contains a fairly genuine, grungy 'exploitation' tenor. The problem for me lays in the execution of the story, which comes across as a quite a bit disjointed and makes for some clunky pacing. I just found too many things that could've been cut down and other parts that actually could've been expanded upon to make the film more consistently entertaining and help the overall 'flow'. I'll still give them credit, as "Dead Hooker..." IS an ambitious first feature film effort.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gorepump, it's Krause. Just wanted to touch base with you and recommend a flick called "Better Watch Out". It came out in 2017. I really dug it and thought you might too. The less you know about the plot the better. Full confession I was on mushrooms when I watched it so perhaps I was a bit biased. Check it out if you get a chance. https://123movieshub.to/film/better-watch-out-22198/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey man. I've had this one on the back-burner for a bit and haven't really known if it was worth a fuck or not til now, but I'll definitely be checking it out.

      Delete