Wednesday, July 30, 2014

The Jeffrey Dahmer Files (2012, Chris James Thompson)



Not a bad documentary here, considering I've pretty much exhausted the Jeffrey Dahmer informational breadth at this point. Having seen every movie and documentary on the Milwaukee killer, and read my share literature, I think I've learned it all, for the most part. Still, "The Jeffrey Dahmer Files" isn't a total wash, despite it's flaws.

You're basically getting the Dahmer story through first-hand accounts with the detective who got the initial confession, the forensic guy and a crack head neighbor who goes over some of her casual interactions with him around the apartment complex...

Again, I wasn't getting a whole lot that I didn't already know about the Dahmer case, but the interviews were okay. That said, it seemed like they were a little "light" on the more 'pertinent' material so a lot of the doc is padded out with some pretty pointless dramatizations of Dahmer's day-to-day life. No murders are reenacted - the closest being Jeff dragging a body in a suitcase out of a hotel and into a cab. The rest of this type of stuff is just bland filler, showing Dahmer making a beer run and checking out a gay pride parade. I just didn't see the point in any of this so, in turn, I firmly believe that "The Jeffrey Dahmer Files" would've made for a much better short doc - consisting of, maybe, 15 minutes worth of the interview material.

So, as I said, you're not getting a whole lot of new and interesting facts on the Dahmer case, but I kind of enjoyed hearing from the retired detective.

No comments:

Post a Comment