Thursday, July 17, 2014

Rubber (2010, Quentin Dupieux)

Finally checked out "Rubber" and, upon mulling it over for about 2 days now, I still have no fucking idea what to make of it. From what I've heard, director Quentin Dupieux has turned out a few of these types of absurdist dark comedies as well as some offbeat music videos. "Rubber" is all I've seen so far and I don't really know what to take away from it...

The film mostly centers around a car tire that emerges from the desert sand and embarks on an unknown journey. Turns out, the phantom tire not only lives, but also has a mind that can make small animals and people's heads explode. It follows some chick in a convertible to a motel where it blows up the head of the cleaning lady, thus bringing in the police department, headed by a sheriff who believes that what they are dealing with is, in fact, NOT real life. There's also a bunch of spectators forced to watch the tire's skull-popping exploits from the top of a cliff with binoculars before they're eventually poisoned for no reason in particular.

Right off the bat, the movie explains to the viewer that all movies pretty much contain an inevasible element of "no reason", in one way or another, which is clearly the custom in which they chose to embrace with "Rubber". To the utmost. I guess I really just couldn't get 'into' it. It's well shot and goes for a completely unique concept, I'd say, but the humor and over-the-top quirkiness just kinda missed it's mark for me. I know some people dug it, so to each his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment