Thursday, June 29, 2017

Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (2007)

The original "Wrong Turn" was a pretty entertaining 'backwoods' horror flick that made up for its unoriginality with some undeniably strong suspense and make-up effects. Since seeing that one years ago, I've had the displeasure of having seen a few of the later, barely watchable sequels (I wanna say "4" and "7"... I'm not sure), but have heard that the first few follow-ups contained a reasonable amount of silly gore so I figured I'd give the second installment a shot.

The contestants of a "Survivor"-esque reality show are led out into the rural back country of West Virginia to make it through a series of challenges. Of course, their shoot is disrupted by the family of mutant cannibals inhabiting the woods...

This straight-to-video sequel takes things in a more over-the-top and non-serious direction than what we saw with the first movie, which, I guess works in its favor. The gore is more cartoonish this time around, while the tension levels are significantly... missing. I'll chalk that up to the drop in budget and lack of Stan Winston. In all, "Wrong Turn 2" is a basic 'backwoods' slasher film.

No comments:

Post a Comment