Monday, May 16, 2016

When Animals Dream (2014)

I'm actually a bit torn on this one. I want to like it for the same reasons I want to dismiss it as kind of a bullshit, typically 'artsy' horror film, but at the same time I don't want to totally shit on it. "When Animals Dream" is sort of an almost-werewolf-flick that relies mostly on wide shots and quiet characters - shit that can work when it doesn't come across as so flagrant and trite.

A young plain-jane with an almost comatose mother and shitty fish butchering job begins noticing strange hairs sprouting up over her body and is having dreams of snarling creatures resembling herself. The pieces start falling into place when she peeps in on her dad shaving her mom's back and catches a glimpse of the doctor's chart. Turns out, mom is being heavily sedated to keep her from turning into a wild, hairy she-bitch that kills the villagers - which she is apparently known for...

Honestly, I didn't really get 'into' this one. The slowness of it and the whole 'atmosphere-over-story' aesthetic just doesn't work for me. Yeah, it's shot very nicely and in a nice location, but, aside from that, it really isn't that much different than many werewolf movies I have seen. The characters are the dull, quiet type (shoot the sky, not dialog!...), the effects in the end are boring and simple, and the gore is minimal - everyone gets bit on the throat. I really just felt like I had seen this kind of thing before, numerous times. It didn't feel original to me. That said, it's not terrible. Well shot, adequately acted, but that's about it...

No comments:

Post a Comment