Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Washing Machine (1993, Ruggero Deodato)

I'm obviously not breaking any new ground in saying that director Ruggero Deodato really 'jumped the shark' - so to speak - with his notorious 1980 jungle classic "Cannibal Holocaust". Nothing else I've seen from him has really compared, even in the slightest, and I've never gotten word of another film by him that comes close that particular sleazy, blood-drenched 'exploit' gem. Deodato went on to tackle numerous other genres, such as slasher, rape/revenge and, with "The Washing Machine", he went with a 'giallo' theme. Unfortunately, this is one of the most exhaustingly boring giallo's I can recall seeing as of late...

A detective is investigating the death of a scummy playboy whose dismembered body was discovered in the washing machine of three extremely odd and slutty sisters who live together in their father's old house. Each one of these chicks take turns seducing him and tangling him up in their confusing web of insanity and potential murder cover-up.

"The Washing Machine" is about as slow and melodramatic as a 'gialli' flick can be. Nothing memorable really happens. There's some occasional nudity and sex, a quick scene of gore, but for the most part, it's really just a overly convoluted murder-mystery. Just not really my "thing", to be totally honest. I know some people kinda like this one so I'll just leave it at that. Not really my "style" when it comes to the 'giallo' genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment