Thursday, December 7, 2017

Good Time (2017)

I tend to like gritty, urban crime flicks and "Good Time" looked like something I should check out after catching a trailer for it a while back. Where I ended up on this one, ultimately, was pretty much split down the middle; finding it to have a very solid first half and a second half that fell a little short.

A New York reprobate and his mentally retarded, tag-along brother rob a bank and, after getting dye bombed and stashing the money in a pizza joint, seem to be pretty much in the clear... That is, until the slow-witted brother panics and runs from a cop, landing him in Rikers. From here, his bro who made a successful on-foot getaway sets out to free his sibling - along the way getting mixed up with some other forms of degenerate city scum through a course of chance events...

Up until a certain point - around the halfway mark, it seemed - this movie had me amply roped in, but I just found myself not quite finding the rest nearly as engrossing. The continual involvement of a certain character seemed a bit abrupt and what transpires from there just came across as far too questionable. "Twilight" star, Robert Pattinson, in - what I guess could be considered his 'breakout' role - does a decent enough job, though his character isn't given much time time to be fleshed out at all and the same goes for about every other character - namely Jennifer Jason Leigh - whose part was incredibly rushed. Overall, I was considerably disappointed with "Good Time". I feel there's a better movie in this that was lost due to iffy direction...

No comments:

Post a Comment