Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Hell's Highway (2002)

Whenever I see that Brain Damage logo pop up at the start of a movie I always instinctively recoil in disgust and apprehension. I still went ahead and carried on into "Hell's Highway" on a whim and, amazingly, it wasn't nearly as terrible as I initially expected. Perhaps my low expectations came into play to boost the enjoyment factor for me, but who knows?

A carload of pot tokin' and beer drinkin' kids are road tripping cross country to L.A. and make the wise decision to pick up a female hitch-hiker in the desert. She ends up pulling a gun on them and spewing threats and other crazy shit before they manage to eject her from the vehicle in a scene very reminiscent of - or just blatantly ripped off from - "The Hitcher". As they continue on, they keep running into her and, at one point, they do LITERALLY with their car, leading them to believe that she is a supernatural being when she appears later on with her same deadly intentions...

First, the gore is beyond cheap looking, but there's enough of it to keep things interesting and they DID provide one "actress" (using the word loosely) who was game to show her tits in a few scenes. One thing I gotta give "Hell's Highway" props for is throwing in an ending that I definitely did NOT see coming. Not that I'd say it's a GREAT or overtly clever ending, but it's certainly out of left field. In all, this one isn't all that bad of a ultra-low budget horror flick. Ah, and Ron Jeremy gets his dick mutilated is a pointless, yet cool scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment