Monday, November 17, 2014

Sasqua (1975, Channon Scot)

During the 70s drive-in heyday of low-budget sasquatch-horror, a movie called "Sasqua" pretty much came and went and was considered lost for about 35 years. A few years ago, a rough-cut of the film was unearthed by a faithful underground-cinema fanatic from Poland. After some improvements were made to what was known to be the only existing copy of the film, a few copies were doled out to a few selected reviewers. I recently re-experienced this previously forgotten gem in all of it's bygone 'grindhouse' era glory.

It's about a group of hippies who arrive out in the woods to start up their commune. They just end up struggling through their racial tensions as well as the murderous "sasqua" (I'm going to assume that's plural for "sasquatch"...) lurking nearby...

Apparently, something happened during the production of this film that resulted in a total lack of sasquatch 'action' and more hippie arguing than I believe was intended based on some of the info I've read on the film's history. The movie mostly chronicles the day-to-day drama of life within the LEAST peaceful hippie commune in the world, but you get a few off-screen sasquatch attacks and a few recycled shots of the furry beasts prowling around. So, in all, they managed to cobble together enough bigfoot content to get the film by, but it must be said that the characters in this movie - while highly underdeveloped - are fairly entertaining, especially the "brothas" who actually go bigfoot hunting with switchblades like true gangsta's. Also got James Whitworth - better known as Jupiter from the original "Hill Have Eyes" - in one of the leads.

So, yeah. "Sasqua" is cheezy and a bit 'confused' in what it's trying to accomplish, but it's an interesting artifact that fell into total obscurity for so long, so one really can't help but appreciate the story behind it. It just needed more bigfeet...

Big thanks to Humanoid of Flesh!

3 comments:

  1. Hey any idea where i could view this film, is there a copy going around online or something? Please get back to me if you can! cannibalrecordsny @ gmail.com
    Thanks again for any info, been dying to see this movie forever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can send you a link to a copy of the film.. My dad was in it. I just happened to see this post.. My email is madelon@madeloncurtis.com Email me and I'll send you the link.. You can download it.. Bad quality, however from years being on an old VHS tape. Hey, it was 1975! I'm from Lowell originally and knew most of the people in the film.

      Delete
  2. I would love to get a copy of this movie as well. I remember watching it at the theater in Lowell, MA when I was 12 years old. Was recently talking with friends about it, who remember the filming in the area at the time. Would love to coordinate getting a copy, for a showing. Cannot find it anywhere. This site is as close as I can find to someone having a copy! The filming was big news in town, and got a good bit of press. It needs to be reborn! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete