Friday, October 19, 2018

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006)

I'd had "All the Boys Love Mandy Lane" recommended to me here and there for years now and had it in the back of my mind all this time to pick up a copy, but never did. Finally, I ended up spotting it on Netflix and gave it look while, oddly, not knowing anything about the premise. Kinda cool since I typically prefer going into movies 'cold'.

Mandy Lane is a high school hottie who - as the title points out - is desired by basically all the horny teen guys on campus. She has a platonic male friend who is ostracized by his peers after goading a drunk jock with the hots for Mandy to jump off a roof and into a pool and, in turn, missing, and cracking his head open. Nine months after this incident, Mandy is invited - along with some other classmates - to a stoner friend's family's ranch for a weekend of partying. Soon enough, they start getting murdered by someone prowling around the property.

Pretty solid film, overall. It's mainly got a 'thriller' feel with a slight slasher element, though it doesn't take off in that direction like it seems it will with the first (and most 'graphic') killing. I liked this and it kept me relatively intrigued even after the killer is revealed fairly early on. Again, the killer's identity seems predictable at first, but the way the rest of the movie plays out, I believe it wasn't suppose to be UNpredictable. A 'twist' comes at the end which I thought worked well, despite being a little vague. The performances are all strong and the camera work is often interesting. The death scenes aren't anything too 'crazy', but are effective, still. In all, I enjoyed this one. It's nothing incredible, fucked up or Earth-shattering, but I can't find much with it to gripe about.

No comments:

Post a Comment