Tuesday, March 21, 2017

The Greasy Strangler (2016)

Finally got to checking out "The Greasy Strangler" - a film whose trailer pretty much had me 'sold' within the first two seconds. However, it ended up slipping my mind to ever pick up a copy, plus I had kinda slowed down in my movie watching anyways. So with no further ado, what were my thoughts on this one? Overall, it's a genuinely funny and thoroughly absurd gross-out horror/comedy - one that I can safely say will NOT suit everyone's tastes.

A pot-bellied, middle-age weirdo is living with his obnoxious, grease-obsessed father whom he co-runs a walking tour business revolving around bullshit disco history. As it turns out, the dad is the elusive Greasy Strangler - a maniacal, grease-coated, big-dicked killer who runs around the city at night strangling folks until their eyes pop out (which he usually eats...). When the son meets a girl, a bizarre "love"-triangle develops between the three of them while the son becomes increasingly suspicious that his father is the strangler...

The best way I can think to describe the 'essence' of this film is to think if John Waters made a movie for Troma. Every character is over-the-top scummy and/or retarded as well as physically repulsive; with very few of them shying away from providing a sheer abundance of disgusting nude scenes. And, yeah, I consider these elements POSITIVE in this case. My complaints regarding this one would have to be in that it starts dragging a little after the halfway point, I thought. Like they used up their "A" material for the first half or so, in which case, the last third of the movie started feeling a bit... tiresome for me. Not to say it ends badly (but, who's to say, honestly? This flick is ridiculous all the way through...), though I just can't say that it ended anywhere near as strong as it began. So, those who dig weird, wacky, crude movies - again, along the lines of John Waters' earlier stuff (though nowhere near as 'outrageous' and RAW) - you'll probably get a kick out of "The Greasy Strangler".

No comments:

Post a Comment