Sunday, March 15, 2015

Django Unchained (2012)

My appreciation for Quentin Tarantino pretty much fades after his early break-through gangster films, as he has since redirected his 'talents' toward just making overblown, tongue-n-cheek fanboy spectacles. Everything he's done - post-"Jackie Brown" - HAS to be a cartoonish, genre-inspired 'throwback' - constantly lacking the grittiness and writing/character-driven appeal of his first few (completed) films. "Django Unchained" was his 'Grindhouse' homage to spaghetti westerns...

Newly sold slave-boy, Django, is purchased and freed by a German bounty hunter who requires his help in tracking down some vicious plantation thugs. Things seem to go well for them in their travels so they team up and make a killing (pun very much intended...) in the bounty hunting game. Eventually, they figure they'll infiltrated Leonardo DiCaprio's plantation where Django's wife is serving as a "house nigger"...

Now, in all fairness, "Django Unchained" is the best 'western' I've seen. I hate 'westerns'. HATE them. I find the look and overall tone of them to be incredibly banal, repetitious and lame. Even the so-called "violent" ones people have tried recommending to me are never violent enough to make up for how expectedly bland and arid they end up being. John Wayne was one of the most irritatingly overrated actors in the history of film, as far as I'm concerned. Anyways... While I can't say that "Django Unchained" blew me away by any means - it had enough of that overly-stylized Tarantino violence and a decent enough plot to keep the almost 3-hour long runtime rolling along. That said, the characters were very one-dimensional and the gimmicky quick-zoom thing was annoying. It also could've scaled back on the comedy, I thought. So yeah, for a 'western' it was alright, but, obviously, I'm somewhat biased. As popular as they are and as much box-office 'draw' as his films amass, I personally haven't noticed Tarantino making a smooth transition from his early 'indie' efforts to Hollywood circut film-making. It all ended with the insipid "Kill Bill" saga - showing that he's just trying WAY too hard. Hell, I always feel more and more like I'm watching a long, ultra-expensive Superbowl ad with each Tarantino movie that comes out. It's like I'm just watching him and his fucked up chin throwing hundreds-of-millions of dollars around on screen for three hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment