Thursday, August 29, 2013

Diary of a Serial Killer (1995, Otto Chan)

I might have to turn in my CATIII card for saying this, but I wasn't all that impressed with "Diary of a Serial Killer". At least, not as much as some of my fellow reviewers who consider it one of the 'greats' of the genre.

A family man with a ravenous sex addiction starts getting his felonious freak on with the wonderful hookers of Hong Kong after his wife fails to please him with her cooking oil tug-job. Shit gets kinda crazy when he starts torturing and murdering whores and storing them into the sealed of loft in his home, unbeknownst to his wife and small child. One day, his wife decides they're taking in a young woman who is trying to track down her boyfriend who left on business on never returned and some sexual tension is sparked between her and her new sadistic landlord... Also, like most CATIII films, the majority of the movie is told, via flashbacks...

There's a decent amount of violence and general sleaze on tap with this one, so there's no way to call it BAD. Still, it just struck me as poorly paced and seemed like it started to struggle around the middle and throughout the end. I found myself getting kinda bored around this point, whereas the beginning kicked things off with a bang. Literally! Toward the start, the guy wedges an M-80 into a chick's twat and lights it! Good shit! Then, throughout the movie there's quite a bit of necrophilia, tit and vag cutting, steamy sex scenes. Still, something about the pacing just made it feel overly long and like it lost it's footing as it started closing in on the third act.

That said, lovers of CATIII 'shockers' should seek this one out. It's been called the HK equivalent to "Maniac", which I wouldn't disagree with, though I also can't say it's on a even keel with that film. Plus, there's a neat little reoccurring reference to Ed Gein that shows up here n' there. So yeah, it started losing me after a while and I wouldn't call "Diary of a Serial Killer" the best 'category III" film by any stretch, but die-hards should probably check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment